Sunday 30 October 2011

Travels Part II: Uganda

By Leah

Uganda


A couple of weeks after Ethiopia, I made the one-hour plane trip to Kampala, where I did a two-day training for microfinance practitioners on social performance management and client protection. On the first day after class, I was asked to speak and hand out awards at a ceremony that honored local microfinance institutions that were making progress in social performance management. It was neat to be a part of the event, which was held at a fancy hotel with cocktails served afterward. I hope it will become an annual event.



It was my second time in Uganda and I really enjoyed myself. I noticed many similarities between Kenya and Uganda, and a few differences. I've combined the two below.

- The people are super friendly like in Kenya. But the accent is more difficult for me to understand.

- The driving is just as crazy. No perceivable difference. My taxi driver from the airport was a speed demon who executed a double pass. We were driving down a narrow two-way street and the sedan directly in front of us pulled into the oncoming lane to pass a bus two cars ahead. My cab pulled out to pass at the same time, and estimating that the sedan was not moving fast enough, he passed the sedan by using the opposite shoulder of the road. In effect, he created three lanes where one existed, by passing a sedan that was passing a bus. I wanted to close my eyes as oncoming traffic got closer, but I was too fascinated by the maneuver.

- Christianity is the dominant religion. Also no perceivable difference, though I'm sure some would emerge if I'd stayed longer. In both countries I've seen lots of Christian bumper stickers and signs, have heard Christian music playing over grocery store loudspeakers and on colleagues' car radios, and have heard Bible verses quoted during daily conversation. It is more openly displayed than in the U.S.

- The dirt is red like in Kenya. The landscape seems greener, I think because there's less development- like fewer apartment buildings and shopping malls, etc. Also, the land around Lake Victoria is seriously fertile. Both times I've been in Uganda, I've seen a surprising number of "exotic" animals just hanging around in the city- including monkeys, peacocks, and birds that I refer to as pterodactyls.

- Coca cola sponsors private stores and even private homes. But in Uganda, sponsors include Bic pens, a local diaper brand, a paint company, and a handful of telecom companies. And I don't mean that they put a sign in the store window. Entire buildings, block after block, are painted the brand color, and have big murals depicting the product on the sides and fronts of the stores. For example, the Bic pen-sponsored buildings were mustard yellow from foundation to roof, with that amorphous black pen-man standing 8 feet high on at least one exterior wall. Since I forgot my camera at home, I'm borrowing images from other websites to show you what I mean. See images from  Lee B. Spitzer, ITC 4 Uganda, and Travelbud.

With Uganda so close by, I'm sure Steve and I will find ourselves there from time-to-time.



No comments:

Post a Comment