Thursday 29 September 2011

A Use-and-Throw Cup

By Leah

Even in countries where English is spoken, I find it really helpful to learn the local form.

In Ethiopia recently, I needed a disposable cup from an English-speaking hotel maid. First, I asked for a plastic cup. I got a quizzical look, so I asked for a paper cup. She still didn't know what to do with my request so I asked for a disposable cup and a few unsuccessful minutes later found myself pantomiming using the cup then throwing it away. Me: "You know, you drink the liquid and then you throw it in the trash..." (insert wild gesticulations involving fictional water and a wastebasket).

Finally she says, "Madame, do you need a use-and-throw cup?" Me: Ah, yes! That's exactly what I need." She didn't have one, but when I asked later in the hotel restaurant "Do you have a use-and-throw cup?" they immediately knew what I needed and handed it over.

I've learned to use "taxi" exclusively, and not "cab."I think cab means something else, but I've yet to find out what- I just gather as much from the wary glances that result from asking "can I get a cab?"

In Kenya, they say "the way forward" for "next steps" which sounds dramatic to my ear, but is useful terminology in business meetings.

It's also useful to know the term for "crosswalk" as you strain to hear where your driver wants to meet you at the chaotic airport. We are in Africa, so naturally the term for white stripes on pavement is "zebra crossing."

Yesterday, when asked "How are you?" I tried out the local English and said "I am very OK!"

I haven't taken the time to learn Swahili yet, but I'm having fun learning the English.

1 comment:

  1. Your post just made me laugh out loud and spew water across my coffee table! Good luck with learning English! xx Rabbi

    ReplyDelete